GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

Blade3562

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'15 Golf, '17 GSW4Mo
Well I just removed stock DV and uncovered disaster. The black plastic housing ring was loose and the blue retaining ring was missing from the DV. Shined a light into turbo only to find scored and bent blades. What a bummer. The plastic pieces must have been brittle/weak from reinstalling them on a couple different DVs. The broken pieces got sucked in and killed the blades. Bearing still feel good, and there's no shaft play. Might be able to have it rebuilt. Bummer.

joedubs

Ready to race!
Finishing up the swap on my launch edition then finally installing an IS38 on my GSW4Mo!
I need to motivate myself to drain the coolant system so I can pull my turbo. :cautious:

I'm told you can pull the top hose and then pressurize the bottle to force the coolant out the top. The turbo coolant return was the biggest bitch when I did the swap the first time because dropping the lower rad hose leaves a LOT of coolant still in the system.

I see the giant bucket. I take it you don't have any tricks.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Newbie
I need to motivate myself to drain the coolant system so I can pull my turbo. :cautious:

I'm told you can pull the top hose and then pressurize the bottle to force the coolant out the top. The turbo coolant return was the biggest bitch when I did the swap the first time because dropping the lower rad hose leaves a LOT of coolant still in the system.

I see the giant bucket. I take it you don't have any tricks.
So my trick is put a drain pan under the turbo, and whatever that doesnt catch I soak up with oil dry and vacuum it out. Then add about 1/2 qt of fluid and some water. No drain needed lol.

joedubs

Ready to race!
So my trick is put a drain pan under the turbo, and whatever that doesnt catch I soak up with oil dry and vacuum it out. Then add about 1/2 qt of fluid and some water. No drain needed lol.
Doesn't work with a 4mo diff down there.
"Under the turbo" means all the coolant that comes out of there runs onto the top of the bevel box and onto the floor around the drain pan.

Blade3562

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'15 Golf, '17 GSW4Mo
Newton's fourth law states: No matter how hard you try you're going to get coolant on everything. There's definitely no easy way, even pressurizing won't really help. Coolant is trapped in various cavities that will always be upstream of a drain. My car was parked for 2 weeks and I'm still covered in coolant. Lol.

As far as a tune for my GSW I'll be running APR IS38 93oct ECU and APR TCU tune. Eventually I'd like to try a UM triple tune with ethanol support.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Newbie
Doesn't work with a 4mo diff down there.
"Under the turbo" means all the coolant that comes out of there runs onto the top of the bevel box and onto the floor around the drain pan.
Well I didn't say it doesn't get some other things wet too 🤣

joedubs

Ready to race!
Not putting turbo in? Why trailer?
I've been running the V2 since may(?) on stock fueling with eurodyne.
I sent it to Dan to be converted to a V1, and I'll be switching to UM since they're the only company interested in offering MPI on the 1.8t.

Will trailer it because there's no way I'm driving an hour and a half on the stock tune with a hybrid IS38 and PR450 lpfp installed. (could I even?)
And I don't want to mess with tweaking the eurydone for the smaller turbo and lpfp just so I can drive it once to UM and flash it back to stock in their parking lot so they can dyno tune it.

I also generally like being prepared for stuff and if anything happens to the car on the dyno that way I can just throw it back on the trailer and bring it home.

joedubs

Ready to race!
Reflect tuning does MPI and flex for the 1.8
Thanks. Filled out their contact form.

I'm assuming the "concerns" that moose expressed about their tuning have been worked out since they were posted a couple of years ago?

The website for Reflect is also worse than UMs. Nice to know they'll tune vw/Audi and Sea-Doo.

crxgator

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks. Filled out their contact form.

I'm assuming the "concerns" that moose expressed about their tuning have been worked out since they were posted a couple of years ago?

The website for Reflect is also worse than UMs. Nice to know they'll tune vw/Audi and Sea-Doo.
Ian has been tuning for years and has been able to do things other tuners can’t. He’s pretty well known as well.