GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - Track Rat Build

torga

Autocross Champion
Location
Seattle
Car(s)
'11 GTI

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT
I'm very likely gonna pick one of these up. My plastic upper timing cover is starting to look ~~moist~~ šŸ„µ

Have you used this one before?
No, just saw this recently.
I installed it - it's very high quality. I got it on sale--I would wait until labor day or black friday and I'll bet you'll get a deal on it.
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT
The high hp RS3 guys with the DQ500 run into this so much IROZ makes a catch can setup for that platform. Sadly nothing for the DQ250. I've got my box apart at the moment putting in a Mfactory diff in and all after 120k there was barely enough buildup on the factory breather to coat just the bottom part but this is my daily.



BTW:
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Lage...Aluminum-Cover-Gen-1-TSI-06H-103-269H-AL.html

just sayin...
The APR catch can I am using is supposed to fit the DQ500 but fits the DQ250 just fine. I just needed the breather port adapter off of the MK7R breather box. I am not familiar with the IROZ design but if mine fits that might as well.
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT






Interior is basically done...lot of smaller things to address but for now moving on to the motor. Will come back to button up things later.
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT
Cool execution on the cage. Makes we wonder if some hot bois would pay some ridiculous amount for an official branded Supreme bolt-in cage.
Hahaha. Stickers and custom paint job were from previous owner. I didn't want to damage the finish so I just said ahh whatever I'll just leave em on. Does bug me that I have koni stickers when I have eibach but technically since koni is a sponsor for the SCCA nationals I gotta run koni stickers anyway.
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT


Did my first carbon clean this weekend. Reinstalled new manifold with new nostrum injectors and nostrum/XDI HPFP.

Check list is getting smaller but the good news is that the motor is ready to go in! Just waiting on the DSG bellhousing bolts from FCP Euro.

Once the motor is in and the front hubs are assembled (everything is there (coilover, tie rod, control arm etc) just need to attach it all to the hub) I can finally put the car down on 4 wheels after nearly a year of being apart.
 

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Location
Seattle
Just curious, what was the pn you ordered for the DSG bell housing bolts. I finally got my LSD installed and just re-used old ones.
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT
Just curious, what was the pn you ordered for the DSG bell housing bolts. I finally got my LSD installed and just re-used old ones.
Hope this helps. Full credit to FCP Euro for getting their hands on this diagram for me and got me the bolts in under a week.

 

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Location
Seattle
Ahhh IC. So these are the bellhousing to Engine bolts then. Sorry, thought you meant the 22 triple squares that hold the bellhousing to trans (that like to strip out). I never found any tourque specs or info on these so i just reused mine.
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT
PM3 and battery relocation wiring done... I thought I had a slightly newer pic with the circuit breakers wired in but I guess not.



Selling my IE Intercooler for a Treadstone TR8L - as a result I need to fill in the gaps with some radiator ducting.





Alsoo... managed to get the front hubs assembled. Forgot how much of a pain it is to get the ball joint lined up with the spindle + axle... but hey, the car has brakes now! Lol



Also yes the rotor is backwards, don't worry I fixed it lol.




A friend of mine is getting back from vaca tomorrow and he's gonna let me borrow his engine crane again...hope to have the motor installed this weekend!
 

zef

Go Kart Champion
Location
CT
Absolutely exhausted, but ecstatic. Been in the garage every day for the past 3-4 weeks, not getting home until 2-3am some days...but wow.. just wow. What a result!

Here's a quick recap of the last few weeks:

Since I am going to a treadstone front mount I built radiator ducting. This is critical for coolant temps since without proper ducting moving to a fmic will likely cause worse coolant temps with the huge gaps going around the radiator instead of through it:









Next was I swapped over to a TTRS fuel pump. Moved over the fuel float sensor and capped the saddle tank hose.





Last but not least... the motor.



New Sachs flywheel



aaaand it's in! (after having to take it back out slightly after forgetting the intermediate plate)



then the oil cooler, coolant hoses, wiring harness etc all went in



with new MK7.5 rep headlights--front nose mounted!



Hooked up the battery and ...she's alive! but holy fking errors. What was odd is that the MFD and everything lit up without the key in the ignition... so I got some sorting to do.








After a short trip on the wrecker............after a year of being on jackstands.............she's home.




Waiting on a VTA catch can, intercooler, and intake. Then gotta wrap up some wiring and bleed the brakes. And sort out all these error codes...the fact that it says key not found with the key in the ignition worries me...

Hopefully will get a date from FFE soon...maybe I'll stop by swoopsbuilt first for some bespoke parts we've been going back and forth on...

Stay tuned :)
 
Top